Full Text of RA 9239 at http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9239.html
IV. PENAL PROVISIONS
Section 19. Offenses and Penalties. -
(a) Imprisonment of at least three (3) years but not more than six (6) years, and a fine of not less than Five Hundred thousand pesos (Php 500,000.00) but not exceeding One Million five hundred thousand pesos (Php 1,500,000.00), at the discretion of the Court, shall be imposed on any person, natural or juridical, who shall:
(1) Engage in the importation, exportation, acquisition, sale or distribution of, or possess or operate manufacturing equipment, parts and accessories without the necessary licenses from the OMB;
(2) Engage in the mastering, manufacture, replication, importation or exportation of optical media without the necessary license from the OMB;
(3) By himself, or through another, cause the mastering, manufacture or replication of any intellectual property in optical media intended for commercial profit or pecuniary gain without authority or consent of the owner thereof;
(4) Engage in the Mastering, manufacture, or replication of optical media without affixing or installing in the resulting products the SID Code, and/or such other codes prescribed, assigned and authorized by the OMB. The absence of the codes prescribed, assigned and authorized by the OMB in any optical media shall be prima facie evidence that said optical media are in violation of this Act;
(5) Engage in the mastering, manufacture, or replication of optical media using, affixing or installing in the resulting products false SID or other codes. The presence of false or unauthorized codes shall be prima facie evidence that said optical media are in violation of this act;
(6) Engage in the mastering, manufacture, or replication of optical media using, affixing or installing in the resulting products false SID or other codes that have been assigned by the OMB to another person, or, having been assigned and authorized said codes by the OMB, allow or authorize another person, establishment or entity to use, affix or install such codes in the latter's products;
(b) Imprisonment of at least one year but not more than three years and a fine not less than one hundred thousand pesos, but not exceeding five hundred thousand pesos, at the discretion of the court, for the following offenses:
(1) Engaging in the importation, exportation, sale or distribution of, or possess or acquire in commercial quantities manufacturing materials used or intended for use in the mastering, manufacture or replication of optical media without the necessary licenses from the OMB;
(2) Knowingly performing or rendering the service of mastering, manufacture or replication of optical media, after having been licensed by the OMB, to any person, in respect of any intellectual property, who does not have the consent by the owner of the intellectual property or his representatives or assigns;
For this purpose, any person, establishment or entity that is licensed by the OMB to engage in the above mentioned activities shall be considered to have acted in good faith in respect of any transaction entered into by him in respect to the preceding paragraph, if he notifies the OMB of such transaction within five working days from receipt of the order, furnishing to the OMB all material information thereof;
(3) Refusing to submit to inspection by the OMB, or surrender for preventive custody any optical media, equipment, manufacturing materials, including parts, accessories and paraphernalia found during inspection operations to be in violation of the provisions of this Act;
For purposes of this subsection, violators who will employ armed resistance against agents of the OMB shall be penalized under other applicable laws in addition to those provide in this Act:
(a) Imprisonment of at least 30 days but not more than 90 days or a fine of not less than 25,000.00 pesos but not exceeding fifty thousand pesos at the discretion of the court:
(1) Knowingly possess items of the same content or title, produced in violation of this Act, and used for the purpose with the intent to profit;
(2) Engaging in the sale, rental, distribution, importation, exportation of, or any other commercial activity involving optical media that are in violation of this Act.
(b) For subsequent offenses in Section 19(a), uniform imprisonment of six (6) years but not more than nine (9) years and a fine of not less than One Million five hundred thousand pesos (Php 1,500,000.00) but not exceeding Three million pesos (Php 3,000,000.00) at the discretion of the Court, shall be imposed.
(c) For subsequent offenses in Section 19(b), uniform imprisonment of three (3) years but not more than six (6) years and a fine of not less than Five hundred thousand pesos (Php 500,000.00) but not exceeding One million five hundred pesos (PHp 1,500,000.00) at the discretion of the Court, shall be imposed.
The offenses listed under this section shall be punished without prejudice to the application of appropriate penalties or sanctions provided under Section 216 and such other appropriate sections of the IP Code or Republic Act No. 8792 also known as the Electronic Commerce Act, the Revised Penal Code or other applicable laws.
Section 20. Determination of Penalties - In determining the number of years of imprisonment, or amount of fine to be imposed, the court shall consider the size of the operations of the offender, the value of the articles involved in the violation, and the period of violation. In imposing administrative penalties, the OMB shall likewise consider the said circumstances.
Section 21. Persons Liable. - If the offender is an alien, the person shall immediately be deported after serving his sentence, and shall, thereafter, be refused entry into the country.
If the offender is a government official or employee, he shall suffer perpetual disqualification from public office and forfeiture of his right to vote and participate in any public election for ten (10) years.
Should the offense be committed by the juridical person, the stockholder, chairperson, president, officer, director, trustee, partner or manager responsible for such violation shall be liable.
Section 22. Enforcement - The OMB may solicit the direct assistance of other agencies, the managing authorities in the economic zones and instrumentalities of the national and local governments, and may deputize for a limited period the heads or personnel of agencies to perform enforcement functions for the OMB, insofar as such functions are concerned shall be subject to the direction and supervision of the OMB.
Section 23. Disposal of Seized Materials. - Any optical media, equipment or materials found to be in violation of the provisions of this Act, any books, records, or paraphernalia providing evidence of any violation committed by any person, establishment or entity, shall be confiscated and forfeited in the favor of the government and shall be disposed in accordance with pertinent laws and regulations: Provided, That confiscated optical media may, pending consideration of the case, be immediately destroyed upon final determination by the OMB in an administrative case, or by a court in a civil or criminal case, that are the same are in violations of this Act: Provided, further, That a sufficient representative sample shall be retained for evidentiary purposes.
The retained representative sample shall remain in custodia legis until the final resolution of proceedings thereon.
Equipment and materials imported of this Act shall be subject to seizure and immediate disposal by the Bureau of Customs.